In the Parks Series - Sassagoula and Floatworks Factory Breakfast: Sample or Skip?

Sassagoula and Floatworks Factory is your one-stop shop when you're dining at Port Orleans - French Quarter. As such, I figured it would be pertinent to do an honest review of what we had for those of you who may choose to stay at French Quarter in the future.

First of all, this is a Quick Service food court. Don't expect to see any gourmet meals coming off the delivery line of this one.

As we were in the parks all day the entire time we were at Disney World, we really only were able to try a variety of different fares for breakfast, so this is what we'll be looking at.

Whole Grain Croissant with Maple Bacon Jam

My first day there, I tried the whole grain croissant ham and egg sandwich with maple bacon jam. It was your typical fast-food kind of breakfast sandwich - it does the job, but leaves you wanting a little more. I found it to fall apart a little too easily, and the maple bacon jam wasn't exactly pleasant. I would suggest you pass on this option.

As you can see, this one is a fairly standard fast food breakfast offering. I'd take a Egg McMuffin over it any day.

Mickey Waffle with Sausage or Bacon

Chris and I both tried the Mickey Waffle with bacon or sausage while we were staying at French Quarter. The waffle is massive! It came with a fruit topping and syrup. I sampled both the syrup and fruit topping on separate parts of the waffle and they were both delicious! The fruit topping was sweet, warm, and gooey. The syrup, although a simple and classic pairing, was not to be overlooked. The sausage was standard, but filling. Overall, this would probably be one of our go-to options.

Mickey's ears are the perfect size to hold some sweet, sweet fruit topping!

The Big Easy Breakfast

Next up is the big easy breakfast. This comes with scrambled eggs, ham or breakfast sausage, breakfast potato casserole, and a buttermilk biscuit. Overall, it was fairly similar to the breakfast lineup you would find at a hotel. The eggs were a little rubbery, but the breakfast sausage was good (the same sausage you can get with the Mickey waffle, so this is to be expected).

As for the potato casserole, this one got mixed reviews. My husband really did not like it. He thought it was a little bit spicy, but not in a good way. I personally didn't mind it, but I also used ketchup very liberally on them.

The one thing we agreed on was the biscuit. It was moist, warm, and just a little bit salty. It was fairly similar to a Red Lobster biscuit without the cheese. We both really liked it. It also fit in with the southern New Orleans feel that the resort was trying to portray. Overall, this one could be considered a go-to option as well.

The Big Easy A.K.A. a continental breakfast with a southern twist-erooni.
Tater Tot Side

I also tried the tater tots while I was staying at French Quarter. Maybe I was addicted to salt by this point, but I couldn't stay away! I would liken them to mexi-fries at Taco Time. They are solid and not a bad way to bulk up your meal if you're in need of a little bit extra. Delicious in that greasy way you just need once in awhile.

There was something about these that made me keep coming back for more!
Shrimp and Grits

I decided to be adventurous one morning and try the shrimp and grits. Now, I had never had grits before, so I had no idea what to expect. Well, this dish did not disappoint! The grits were creamy, and a nice foil to the spicy shrimp and other components of the dish. The eggs were also a nice touch and complemented the flavours well.

If you've never tried this, I can say with certainty that I can see why this dish is a fan favourite! I would recommend it to those of you wanting to experience some southern cooking (or as close to it as Disney gets) for yourself.

A cult classic, and for a reason!
Beignets

Last, but certainly not least is the beignets! Sassagoula and Floatworks Factory is the only location in all of Walt Disney World that has these gems!

These warm pastries are covered with powdered sugar and a little magic! You can get either three or six of them with your choice of caramel, chocolate, or strawberry dipping sauce.

These were honestly one of the best things we ate in all of Disney World. We had ours with the caramel dipping sauce. They were hot, fresh, and to die for. I highly recommend that even if you don't stay at French Quarter, you take a bus, Minnie Van, boat from Disney Springs, or drive to the resort to give these a try!

These beignets were life.

Keeping in mind that this is Quick Service food, I give Sassagoula and Floatworks Factory 4/5 mouse ears.


Have you eaten at Sassagoula and Floatworks Factory? Sample or skip? Comment and subscribe :)



Let me book the magic for you! Fill in this form for a FREE quote and/or click here for my contact information! 

Comments

Popular Posts